Do you want to change the name of your Airpods to make them different from other devices? No worries, you can do it by following this guide. However, giving a unique name to Airpods makes it easy to locate the airpods among other devices, so you never get them mixed up.
When you first buy your airpods, your iPhone automatically assigns them a default name. The process is quite simple regardless of which pair of Apple AirPods you have. But keep in mind that completing the process will need both the airpods and the phone to be charged and connected to each other. After connecting the airpods with your phone, tap on your device and click on the edit option next to your airpods. Now let’s move further to know how to rename airpods.
Quick Steps to Change Airpods Name on iPhone & iPad
You can easily customize your AirPods names in just a few steps. Whether you have airpods Pro, Airpods Max, or Airpods, the process of modifying the name is similar. Here are steps that help you to set a name for your airpods on the iPhone and iPad.
- Remove your AirPods from their case.
- View the Settings app on your iOS and choose Bluetooth.
- Then, click on the blue “i” icon next to the airpods in the list of devices.
- Next, click on the Name field and enter a new name.
- After that, tap on Done in the bottom-right of the keypad once you have entered a new name.
- When you go to locate your Airpods in your Bluetooth devices list, you will see them listed with the new name.
1. Renaming Your Airpods on Android Device
Changing the AirPods name with an Android device is relatively easier than doing it on iOS. You don’t even need to be linked to your earbuds to tinker with the name. So you just have to apply the below steps to rename airpods.
- Launch the Settings app and move to connected
- Locate your Airpods in the menu of the previously linked device.
- Click on Settings at the right of the screen.
- Hit the pencil icon next to the device details header.
- Enter your preferred name and hit the Rename option.
- Once again, verify the name.
- Examine your new name in the Bluetooth list now.
2. Renaming Your Airpods on Mac
No matter what kind of airpods you have, you can change your airpods name easily. You can also rename your airpods by using Mac devices. Here are the instructions that will help you change the name.
- View the System Preferences on your Mac, which you can do by tapping the Apple Symbol in the upper-left corner of your screen and choosing System Preferences in the drop-down menu.
- Tap on Bluetooth in System Preferences.
- Link your airpods to your Mac. Then, in the Devices Section of the Bluetooth page, right-tap the name of your Airpods and choose Rename in the drop-down menu. To right-tap on a Mac, press the Control key while you tap.
- Then, type a new name and tap Rename again to verify the change.
- After that, when you find your airpods in your device list, you will see them listed with a new name.
3. Modifying Airpods Name on Chromebook
If you are a Chromebook user, it is also feasible to alter the name of your Airpods. Here’s how you can do it.
- Launch the Chromebook Settings, and choose the Bluetooth
- From the Bluetooth-connected devices, click on the current name of your Airpods.
- Choose the Edit option, type your preferred airpod name, and confirm the changes by clicking “Done.”
4. Modifying Airpods Name on Desktop
However, changing a name on Windows is quite boring, but you can still do it by applying the below steps.
- Make sure your PC’s Bluetooth is turned on and your Airpods are connected.
- If the airpods are linked, then right-click the start menu and enter Run.
- Type control panels into the run command, and click on OK.
- Now, locate your Airpods in the Devices & Printers menu, right-click them, and click on Properties.
- Here, you have to tap on
- After that, change the airpods names, click Apply, and then OK to save the preferences.
How to Fix an Airpods Name That Keeps Reverting Back?
The most common problem that some users face when changing their airpod names is that they revert back to their default names. It usually occurs when the airpods are inserted back into their case or after exchanging them for another device. However, we do not know the accurate reasons behind this. But, we tested some fixes on how to rename airpods efficiently and came up with the eventual fix.
First, you can try to reset the airpods. Doing this will remove all the existing data, including the glitches that caused the issue, will be removed. A reset also starts bug-free brand new airpods. If you do not know how to reset airpods, No worries, you can apply the instructions.
- Launch settings and then tap on Bluetooth.
- Next, choose the “i” option.
- Click on “Forget this device.”
- Further, press the airpods setup button until it turns white.
If the reset does not solve the issue, try renaming the airpods with a blank space after entering a new name. We have done this, and sometimes it works. Although there is no fix officially introduced by Apple.
A unique name will help you recognize your device instantly. However, changing Airpods’ names is one of the simplest ways to personalize your device’s name creatively. So, by following the above guide to change airpods name, you can quickly rename them on different devices such as Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, and Windows. Hopefully, the above guide will be helpful for you. But, if you still have difficulty changing the name, let us know in the comment section.