Table of Contents
The keto egg fast was developed by Jimmy Moore in 2010 and was initially designed to help break you through a weight loss plateau. Some claim that the egg fast is nothing more than an incredibly strict keto diet. On a side note, it is said that the egg fast is not appropriate for people with certain medical conditions such as diabetes, eating disorders, etc. That is not an exhaustive list, but just a few.
So if you ever venture into egg-fast-land, make sure it is safe for you with any health conditions you have. I have Type 1 Diabetes, and I did just fine, but that is me and my body. At a real basic level, the keto egg fast is a way of eating such that you primarily eat eggs, healthy fats, and cheese for 3-5 days—nothing else in terms of actual food.
What is the Keto Egg Fast Plan?
Ready to find out what you can do to enjoy these results yourself? Here are the basic egg fast rules:
- Don’t eat for the first three hours of your day. This helps you reap the benefits of Intermittent Fasting as well as the perks of your Egg Fast.
- Don’t skip meals, either. No one meal a day regimens. You need to eat three egg diet meals a day. Each meal should consist of a minimum of 2 eggs with two tablespoons of fat (butter, coconut oil, avocado mayo, olive oil, MCT oil, etc.).
- You can include 1 ounce of full-fat cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, cream cheese, Monterrey, etc.) with each egg if you’d like for variety, but keep it at 6 ounces (or less) of cheese per day.
- If you want to snack between meals, eat one egg with a tablespoon of fat as your snack (but only if you’re hungry!). Hard-boiled, scrambled, fried, and poached your pick!
- Make sure not to go too long in between eating, also! No more than 5 hours between meals.
- Be sure to finish your last meal of the day at least 3 hours before bedtime.
- Don’t forget to hydrate! Drink the minimum standard of 64 ounces of water each day, but more is great, too!
- Supplement, supplement, supplement. Talk to your doctor about your daily needs, but getting adequate magnesium, sodium, and potassium is essential.
- Avoid sugar alcohols. Concentrated stevia and monk fruit are okay to sweeten your tea or coffee or to make your egg fast desserts with.
- Don’t go crazy on the spices, either. Please keep it to 1 gram of carbohydrates or less per serving in your egg fast recipes to propel you back into your fat-burning mode.
Why Does the Keto Egg Fast Work?
- First, you will usually be in a calorie deficit by default. And even though keto is excellent, calories still matter. You will need to be in debt to lose weight.
- Second, it is incredibly low carb. Most of my days were under 5g of net carbs per day. And like fasting, it is a fast track into ketosis if you are not already in ketosis.
- Third, due to the high-fat nature of the egg fast, you will feel full and won’t be hungry all day.
- Fourth, your body is detoxing.
Benefits of an Egg Fast?
Well, one obvious benefit is weight loss, of course! Most people will see a reasonable weight-loss throughout their egg fast. Another excellent benefit is lower blood sugar and lowers insulin. As a Type 1 Diabetic myself, I can tell you that high blood sugar and high insulin levels pretty much negatively affect every system in the body.
So maintaining appropriate blood sugar levels and insulin levels are on top of my list, indeed. My blood sugars were incredibly stable, which was nice. I mean, keto keeps them to be calm, but they were even more even keel.
Side Effects of KetoEgg Fast Diet
The risk factors and side effects of the egg fast diet are identical to that of the ketogenic diet, including irritability, fatigue, irregular sleep, weakness, headaches, nausea, etc. These symptoms are together known as the keto flu.
Another side effect of the diet is digestive trouble, as the egg fast diet restricts the consumption of fiber-rich fruits and vegetables. As a result, some people experience constipation, as in the absence of insoluble fiber, there is reduced binding action.
[wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Q: What can you eat on keto egg fast?”]A: Basically, on an egg fast, you are utilizing eggs, butter (or other pure and healthy fat like olive oil or coconut oil), and cheese, with a few exceptions for low carb condiments like hot sauce and mustard, etc. The egg fast rate is to eat 1 Tbsp fat for each egg consumed and up to 1 oz cheese for each egg consumed.[/wps_faq][wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Q; Can you eat avocado on the egg fast?”]A: You need to eat three egg diet meals a day. Each meal should consist of a minimum of 2 eggs with two tablespoons of fat (butter, coconut oil, avocado mayo, olive oil, MCT oil, etc.). You can include 1 ounce of full-fat cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, cream cheese, Monterrey, etc.)[/wps_faq][wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Q; Can I Have Coffee on keto egg fast?”]A; Sauces and condiments are allowed, as long as they are low-carb and used sparingly. Butter, herbs, spices, and coconut oil are permitted to use with/on your eggs. Stay hydrated and drink at least 100 ounces each day. Try to bypass diet sodas while on the egg, fast — tea and Coffee are permitted.[/wps_faq][wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Q: Can you have bulletproof Coffee on the egg fast?”]A: Bulletproof Coffee within 30 minutes of waking (Coffee with 1 Tbsp MCT oil, 1 TbspKerrygold unsalted butter) Eat 3-5 meals of at least two eggs each, starting no later than 10 am. Have 1 Tbsp of butter or sugar-free mayo per egg applied?[/wps_faq][wps_faq style=”classic” question=”Q: How much weight can I lose on a 3-day egg fast?”]A: Most people command they lose 5–10 pounds (1.4–2.7 kg) in 3–5 days. Summary an egg fast can benefit you to lose weight by restricting calories and promoting ketosis — a metabolic state in which your body uses ketones as a source of fuel.[/wps_faq]